Thursday, September 21, 2006

Yikes! I have to give a Toast!

My very good friend is getting married to a great guy, and I have to give a toast after the ceremony before dinner. Gulp. This is what I came up with while I was in the shower, and wouldn't mind an opinion or two, as I hate embarassing myself in large -living- crowds, espcially if it could be prevented. I'm typing this one grouped in single sentences per line so I can hopefully memorize most of it. (ah-hem)


I met her in High School.
She was the 'new' girl in an old town.

Tristan came to school on her first day, not in a "cute new outfit", but in a thick, black,leather biker jacket...tight shirt...blue jeans, and either black biker boots or canvas high tops.

She walked with confidence and had a gleam of mischief in her eyes, she also had the best make-up and hair I'd ever seen.
I thought "Hmmm...I could learn something from this girl!"

We wound up sitting next to each other in a Literature class, and found we were practically the only two kids that enjoyed reading books.
It was there that our lifelong friendship was established...over a book.

She needed a ride home, I offered, she accepted, and to my surprise, this cool, outspoken, wild thing lived with her parents in one of the nicest townhouses the city of ***** *** had to offer!
On the golf course, even!

She was a Country Club girl wearing a biker jacket, and swearin' like a sailer...incredible.
I have always admired her ability to stand out in a crowd, and thoroughly enjoy it.

Tristan was brilliant...like a star.
I was the voice of reason...like the earth.
She could be difficult...like the ocean.
I was predictable...like the sun.

Given our differences, it would seem unlikely for our friendship to last a lifetime, easily lost along the way like so many do over time.

But when we would sit together at a kitchen table with our sodas, and later our coffee mugs, it seemed we were cut from the same cloth.

We explored each other's ideas and over the years found that together we could solve most of the world's problems, and occasionally even a few of our own.

We have seen each other through the best and worst of times, always hopeful for each other out of love and respect.

She and I followed very different paths to reach our dreams, and today we all have been led here to this beautiful celebration of love and courage.


Bill, you have the honor of beholding a brilliant star in your heart.
Her radiant shine will always light the way, and warm your soul.


Tris, see the man beside you and know you have found your rock.
You have struck gold in this man's presence.
Relish in your good fortune.

Your hearts have found their way, and all of us who love you take great comfort in that.

To all of you here, who love this couple as I do, raise your cups to honor this marriage and bless them with your love.




Arg, I think I edited it to smithereens, and now seems choppy. Or maybe I am too blasted tired to make sense of it anymore. Any constructive criticism?

4 comments:

Angeline Rose Larimer said...

Makes me want to call my best high school pal. Sniff.

I had to give one of these, and I think I tanked. Of course this might be because I started off with, "She was so beautiful the first time I saw her, and I thought, 'I'm probably not going to like this girl."

Crickets crickets. NOT the time or place for that confession.
I think I covered, but the freaking best man had a wall sized picture of his brother as a 4-year-old stuck in a toilet. Laughter! 10 on cuteness and embarassment factor. My toast was so lame in comparison.

Good for you for working on this.
Just a head's up...VISUALS are always good.

(I'd take out the "don't fret if it burns a little" part. You never know which great aunt will take opportunity to nod in agreement because your pal is so 'unpredictable.')
((The rest is beautiful))

Kath in the Country said...

Visuals? Visuals? I hadn't even considered that. We actually don't have too many photos of us together...have to do something about that. Any other ideas for visual props? I think she still has that jacket, and maybe even the hightops.

You were right, the 'don't fret' part was unnecessary for the point to be understood.

Tristan is and always will be a contrast of terms. A living oxy moron. She sews and knits beautifully, but says F*CK loudly and often throughout.

Is it too much about her and I?
I've never done a toast at a wedding before, and quite frankly, I mustn't have paid attention at the weddings I have attended.

Ahhhh...

Kel-Bell said...

tag, you're it

beckyboop said...

Beautiful!

Becky