Monday, September 18, 2006

Chickens for Writer Mom

Took the camera out with me during morning chores. These shots seem a little blurry, but it was windy, and the birds just didn't know that they were supposed to hold still.

This is my oldest hen, who is a great leader for the rest of the flock. She never takes them out on the highway, where a few of her peers have met their waterloo. She is a barred rock hen, and must be at least 8 years old.






This is a photo of my banty rooster, who has also been on the farm for more than 8 years. He may be smaller than the other roosters, but don't tell him that....he has the largest group of hens that he looks after. Hmmm wonder what he's hiding under those feathers?! Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Angeline Rose Larimer said...

"Chick chick chick chick, chickE! HERE, chick chick chick chick chickE!"

Couldn't help myself. Sigh.
I'm six right now.
I can hear the clucking.
So great! Thanks for posting them.

I may swipe your photo to tell some chicken stories. Kinda gruesome. I hope you don't mind.

"met their waterloo" <--good one!
In all my years of watching chicken love, I have NEVER seen a cock's...thingy. And now I have to go away, to censor myself from abusing rooster puns.

(I LOVE these pictures. Not just the chickens, but the firewood and the tractor and the corn.)

Kath in the Country said...

WM, I love it when you talk dirty to me....or to my roosters for that matter!

Feel free to use the photo...I'd be honored.